Will be moving, all book review requests still welcome, but will be postponed a few weeks.

Looking for newly published and upcoming authors

Now taking recommendations, link requests and criticisms!

Postcards are “flying bits of joy”

~~Kat Young

Updating Schedule

About Bookie Monster

Highly Recommended Titles

Florida Villa: Florida's Best, at your Request

Editing Fiend

Shawn Speakman

JScott Nelson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

John is a Ravenous Reader, and will be returning to University in september to finish a degree in French (and misc). John will get a job in the publishing industry even if it kills him.

Tuesday 7 August 2007

For aspiring Fantasy Novelists

Relating to the previous post, I found a website that has a list of questions to prevent you writing an instant cliche:

Click here

Just a quick comment though, some of the questions are unfair.....if anyone took this seriously, very few fantasy books would have been published in the last 50 odd years!

Comments on "For aspiring Fantasy Novelists"

 

Blogger Katie said ... (8 August 2007 at 03:30) : 

wandering over that way to check it out... maybe I'll find it helpful...

 

Blogger Katie said ... (8 August 2007 at 03:32) : 

hahahahaha.... ok I don't have to worry. I thought it was very funny actually... loved number 74.

 

Blogger Katinka said ... (8 August 2007 at 21:17) : 

HILARIOUS!!!

 

Blogger John Dent said ... (8 August 2007 at 21:21) : 

74 is the perfect example, Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks has done pretty well, despite being widely critized for mirroring Lord of the Rings.

Glad you thought so, Kat!

 

Blogger Sue said ... (9 August 2007 at 12:58) : 

*coughs*

Numbers 10 & 21 are familiar to what I have been writing for the last four years.

*coughs, again*

I must get to it sometime and fisnish it.

 

Blogger David Anthony Durham said ... (11 August 2007 at 00:21) : 

I like it. I didn't read absolutely every one, but I felt like ACACIA came through pretty well. The only direct hit I really felt was 28...

What's wrong with writing the first book in a trilogy? It's got to start somewhere...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (23 August 2007 at 06:56) : 

I've read this before and chuckled just as much the second time as the first.

I have fun with lists like these by trying to figure out which books the cliches come from or by taking the plunge by breaking one of the rules and trying to make it work :)

 

Have your Say