Will be moving, all book review requests still welcome, but will be postponed a few weeks.

Looking for newly published and upcoming authors

Now taking recommendations, link requests and criticisms!

Postcards are “flying bits of joy”

~~Kat Young

Updating Schedule

About Bookie Monster

Highly Recommended Titles

Florida Villa: Florida's Best, at your Request

Editing Fiend

Shawn Speakman

JScott Nelson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

John is a Ravenous Reader, and will be returning to University in september to finish a degree in French (and misc). John will get a job in the publishing industry even if it kills him.

Sunday 22 July 2007

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by JK Rowling

At last, the long-awaited final installment in the Harry Potter series is amongst us. And let me just say, it's about time! It's been a decade since Philosopher's Stone was released, can you believe that?
So, with great anticipation and relief that I finally held the last entry to the saga, I dove in.

There's something magical about the first few pages of a new Harry Potter book, like returning to a regular vacation spot or the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Deathly Hallows is a little different, because none of the trio anticipate returning to Hogwarts.

I'm going to break it to you straight, this isn't the strongest book in the series--but it isn't the worst.

Harry faces several dilemmas, does he continue searching for Voldemort's Horcruxes, or does he set off in search of the Deathly Hallows, powerful artifacts said to grant the wielder mastery over death itself? Does he believe the surfacing accounts of Dumbledore's past? Should he allow his closest friends to remain with him, despite the danger this places them in?

One of the main things I wasn't impressed with was how long it took to get the story off the ground, and actually gripping. Until roughly page 400, it feels a bit like reading an account of someone's "awesome camping trip" but it takes off like a speeding bullet from thereon in.

The two main issues covered in Deathly Hallows (and indeed the rest of the series), Love and Choice, are handled exceptionally well for a children/young adult series.
Every vital character, Voldemort, Harry, Dumbledore, Snape, Lucius.... has a choice to make, a decision in how their lives turn out. People are not the sum of their parts, they are the sum of their decisions and actions. One could spend a long time drawing comparisons between Voldemort's ideals and real-world fascism, but I'll leave that for another time.
The second issue is the underestimation of the power that Love has on all of us. Even the most wretched and grumpy of people is affected by this emotion, and to shrug its effects aside is foolishness.

The Greatest revelation of this book is regarding Severus Snape, and what makes him tick (no matter whose side he's on). He's by far my favourite character, and possibly the best written in the entire saga.

Score: Recommended

Rationale: The fact that it's the final chapter, the conclusion and the tieing up of loose ends--this makes up for a rather sluggish start.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments on ""Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by JK Rowling"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (22 July 2007 at 21:45) : 

I have now placed this book on my Amazon wishlist.
As soon as get a break from all the books upon my bookselves that need reading (and there's a lot) I will buy it.

Sue

 

Blogger Tia Nevitt said ... (23 July 2007 at 02:42) : 

Nice review, and thanks for not giving anything away. I won't be getting to this book for about a month, I'm afraid!

 

Blogger John Dent said ... (23 July 2007 at 18:27) : 

I wouldn't rush to get my hands on Deathly Hallows, there are more interesting books out at the moment!

 

Blogger Sue said ... (25 July 2007 at 17:23) : 

Yes I know, and I have many of those books waiting on my bookshelves right now. But Deathly Hallows is still in hardback; it's the paperback I want.

 

Blogger Katie said ... (31 July 2007 at 15:50) : 

I have to agree with you about the camping parts. Those sections of the book drag on but once you get past that it picks up.

I did also enjoy what she did with Snape. In some ways I had expected something like that. I like the idea of the anti-hero.

I really enjoyed this one because it was the last (like you said) but I wish there had not been so many plot holes. It felt as if she got tired of writing and rushed to finish. :(

anyway. good review! I'll be back. :)

 

Have your Say