Will be moving, all book review requests still welcome, but will be postponed a few weeks.

Looking for newly published and upcoming authors

Now taking recommendations, link requests and criticisms!

Postcards are “flying bits of joy”

~~Kat Young

Updating Schedule

About Bookie Monster

Highly Recommended Titles

Florida Villa: Florida's Best, at your Request

Editing Fiend

Shawn Speakman

JScott Nelson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

John is a Ravenous Reader, and will be returning to University in september to finish a degree in French (and misc). John will get a job in the publishing industry even if it kills him.

Friday 13 July 2007

Not quite Mr T

As some of you may realise, my favourite "new" author is David Anthony Durham. For any of you who feel guilty about reading "fantasy" novels, Acacia is the first step you need to take to get over literary snobbery.

The Dragon Page has a new podcast, involving Anne McCaffrey and David Anthony Durham. I encourage you to listen to the whole thing, but should you just want to hear what David Anthony Durham has to say for himself, skip to 43:50.

Click Here to Listen.

My thoughts.

-I always read "Mein" as in "Chicken Chow-Mein".
-I really expected David to have a more Barry White/Mr T voice.
-Authors and readers have different ideas of what "spoilers" are.

Labels:

Comments on "Not quite Mr T"

 

Blogger Tia Nevitt said ... (14 July 2007 at 02:22) : 

I'm reading David's book now and I think of "Mein" pronounced as "mine", as in the German word. I'll have to listen to the podcast to hear how David pronounces it.

 

Blogger John Dent said ... (14 July 2007 at 02:40) : 

That was one of the options my brain ran through, but it settled on the Chicken-Noodle one instead. If I'd seen "Mein" in another context, I would probably read it the same as you, Tia.

 

Blogger David Anthony Durham said ... (14 July 2007 at 03:22) : 

You know what, don't mind me. Pronounce the various names as suits your fancy. It's funny for me, though, because I tried to spell things without creating linguistic confusion. When I spoke to the guy that's doing the audio version he had a long list of names/places to run through with me. Every now and then... his idea of the pronunciation was near mine, but mostly we had some very different ideas on things.

Nay matter, though. At the moment novels are mostly a written form - to be read, not heard - so what matters is what works for the readers. I bow to you all...

 

Have your Say