Will be moving, all book review requests still welcome, but will be postponed a few weeks.

Looking for newly published and upcoming authors

Now taking recommendations, link requests and criticisms!

Postcards are “flying bits of joy”

~~Kat Young

Updating Schedule

About Bookie Monster

Highly Recommended Titles

Florida Villa: Florida's Best, at your Request

Editing Fiend

Shawn Speakman

JScott Nelson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

John is a Ravenous Reader, and will be returning to University in september to finish a degree in French (and misc). John will get a job in the publishing industry even if it kills him.

Thursday 23 August 2007

Yet another how to

There seems to be quite a number of "How To Write a Fantasy Novel" guides out there on the web, most of which seem to be written by disgruntled fans or people who look down on fantasy.

It's hard to pinpoint who actually writes these things because they use such generic stereotypes that it could be someone who's never touched speculative fiction in their life.

Anyway, here's another one for your amusement!

Labels:

Comments on "Yet another how to"

 

Blogger Dave said ... (23 August 2007 at 15:13) : 

Heh. I quite liked the last line.

 

Blogger Katie said ... (23 August 2007 at 16:32) : 

that's a good one. I'll have to pass it along... :)

 

Blogger Sue said ... (23 August 2007 at 20:19) : 

Hmmmm, I have seen this one before - but I can't remember where. *shrugs* Ah well; it still funny nonetheless. ^_^

 

Blogger Tia Nevitt said ... (23 August 2007 at 22:37) : 

That wasted way too much of my time. Thank you!

 

Blogger SQT said ... (24 August 2007 at 05:51) : 

It wouldn't be funny if it wasn't a little bit true. Harry Potter has a lot of those stereotypes but it's still a lot of fun to read.

*shrug*

I bet a similar list could be made for detective, romance, sci-fi etc. etc.

I guess we all gotta poke fun at someone.

 

Blogger Chris, The Book Swede said ... (24 August 2007 at 09:32) : 

I've seen that one before! I found it very funny. It's very tongue-in-cheek.

I've made a point of trying to include every one of those stereotypes in my NaNoWriMo novel!

That particular one was actually written by someone very, very famous within the spec fic genre a while ago... I just can't remember who. Someone you wouldn't expect.

~Chris
The Book Swede

 

Blogger Lydia Netzer said ... (30 August 2007 at 18:19) : 

HAHAHA!!! Very funny. It reminds me of _The Tough Guide to Fantasyland_. Good point made in this one about how the bad guys can never be rehabilitated or reformed. I always liked that about _The Wizard of Oz_. The bad guys who served the wicked witch immediately repented and knelt in front of Dorothy as soon as the witch was dead.

 

Have your Say